Friday, November 9, 2018

Reader's Workshop

I like to do a Reader's Workshop during my ELA time. It usually takes 2 weeks or so to roll out, but once everyone knows what to do, it is a great and effective tool to maximize learning time. I have 4 workstations in the Reader's Workshop: Reading Station, Guided Reading Station, Word Work Station, and Writing Station.

Reading Station: 
Students read the text of the week from our curriculum (we use Hughton Mifflin). They read together as a group out loud. This allows them to practice their oral reading fluency.

Guided Reading Station:
After students read text, they come to me at Guided Reading. I work with them on comprehension tasks, decoding, fluency, and vocabulary skills all based around the text of the week. This allows me to give differentiated instruction based on the group and what skill they need extra help with.


Word Work Station:
Students work on their Spelling and Vocabulary words for the week. I have created a few different spelling tasks for them to do at this station. I have a set of Spelling Task Cards or Roll It Spelling. Students love practice their weekly words with these activities.



Writing Workstation:
Students practice their writing skills and handwriting at this station. Students either write in their morning journal using these Writing Center Prompts. I have made several different task cards for writing, including seasonal prompts. They also work on their cursive handwriting with different handwriting packets I create. Check out my TpT Store for more easy literacy centers to set up.



No comments:

Post a Comment

 
01 09 10